Tuesday, April 11, 2006

The Rest of the NFL

As NFL fans we don't live in a fan vacuum. We have our team and we're loyal to our team. Ideally, we'd root for our team every week and against whoever they play. Unfortunately, it's not that simple. You see, we humans have something called "memory" and this "memory" allows us to recall things that have happened in the past. These "memories" stick with us and we then attach them to other teams in the NFL. Because of this, you'd be hard pressed to find an NFL fan that doesn't have feelings about every other team in the NFL. Including me.

This is the first in an eight part series on my feelings on the rest of the teams in the NFL. I'll start with the AFC East.

AFC East
Buffalo Bills
The AFC East is the Colts old division. Lots of bad blood with these teams. It's hard to forget the early 90's when the Bills consistently put the smack down on the Colts in a big way. Sure, I'm still bitter. Still, it's hard to hate this team too much. They're bad and they'll be bad for a while. Plus, they have some of the ugliest uniforms in the league.

Miami Dolphins
This team doesn't actually have fans. Just people who live near the stadium. You'll never meet a Dolphins fan who will get in fight for his team. Hell, Hootie is their most well-known fan. I don't even think Dan Marino roots for the Dolphins. People only wear this team's gear because they like the color aqua. This is a non-team. They're not even worth my hate.

New England Patriots
This seems like a no-brainer. I should hate these guys, right? Yeah, I should. I don't. They've owned the Colts up until last season. That's enough to make most Colts fans hate them. However, this is a team that just plays great football. They also play with class. Hard to hate that. I respect these guys, but I still love beating the hell out of them. Of course, I didn't admit it to any of the Pats fans I know. Just another win, I said.

New York Jets
You almost have to fell sorry for this team. They've been hovering around mediocrity for as long as I can remember. This is a franchise that should be at the top of the conference every year. I mean, they're a New York team for Christ's sake. Yet, every year they come up short. They either miss the playoffs altogether or blow it in the first game. You know, I think I do feel sorry for them. That's probably the most insulting thing you can say to another team's fans.

Not a lot of love for the AFC East. Stay tuned for the next installment.

No comments: